A quick Google search for professional resume writing services yields hundreds of results each offering seemingly similar services while promising positive results. So what are the differentiating factors between more successful writing services and ones that are not? What should you look for as you decide the best fit for your needs? Here are seven must-have attributes of the best resume writing services:
- Free Evaluation of Current Resume – If you have a resume that you’re currently using, the company should offer some sort of evaluation or consultation on what improvements need to be made to the document. This will help you understand what areas may be hindering your chances of getting interviews and build confidence in the expertise of the company you may end up utilizing.
- Professionally Certified Writers – Anyone can claim they are “Professional Resume Writers”, but some do not have the certifications to back up that claim. Be sure to ask what the qualifications of the writers are before investing money.
- Samples and Testimonials Readily Available – It’s always a good idea to get a peak at some sample resumes the company has previously crafted along with testimonials about the service. This will give you an idea of what your resume will ultimately look like and provide confidence that other job seekers found value in the service.
- One-on-One Communication with Writer – Be sure that you will have direct email or phone communication with the resume writer you will be working with. Make sure you will be allowed to provide information to this individual so that they know how to tailor the document for your job search. You will likely need to provide feedback on the draft of the resume to ensure you two are on the same page.
- Look at Big Picture of Company – See what other resources or services are available to you outside of the resume writing service. Do they have relationships with employers or recruiters? Do they provide job search tips and suggestions? Do they understand today’s application process? Companies that don’t offer anything outside of resume writing may not have the best insights into current trends or software employers use to make hiring decisions.
- What are the Promises? – While it is difficult to guarantee employment, there should be some reasonable warranty or assurance offered by the company in the long run. You should also understand the process of the rewrite so you know how long until you receive the new document and the timeline for revisions. Many job seekers don’t have time to delay as they wait for their new resume.
- Cost – Be sure to understand the investment required and measure that against your budget and other services. Price can vary largely on where your current resume stands and the type of resume writer you may require (entry level candidate versus director level candidate).
With these tips at your disposal, you should be able to make an informed decision on the right company for you. A good first step is to call the representative for the resume writing service and learn more about what they have to offer. See if they meet the seven attributes outlined above and then make your decision. Best of luck!